WebM: Testing, Metrics and New features
Session Type: Working group
Session Category: Open Media Developers
Session Leader: John Luther (Google/WebM), John Koleszar (Google/WebM)
Time: 3:30pm – 5:00pm
WebM is an open, royalty-free, media file format designed for the web. WebM was released in May 2010 and has seen massive development and substantial uptake in the time since. However, there are always things that could be done better – both around community and technology.
This session gives the interested technical community a chance to talk with some of the core developers of WebM and raise any issues they have. Topics such as the following may be addressed:
- What features should be added?
- What challenges are not yet being addressed?
- How is WebM quality tested today, what is being experimented with?
- What’s missing in the WebM ecosystem?
- Could the WebM project be run better – how could the community become more involved?
- How do we go about developing the next free video codec?
This session will give feedback to WebM developers about the challenges that technical WebM user are faced with.
One possible outcome could be the registration of new bugs on the WebM specification, and the creation of a feature wish list.
Other documents of recommendation or best practices could also result from this session.